Latching Current limiter
Radiation in the space environment can trigger Single Event Latch-up (SEL) on radiation sensitive components. This is especially the case in the New Space industry as companies are working with COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) component.
SEL can have important consequences for the mission and the satellite. Function could become inoperative or, at worst, components get damaged. Therefore, to avoid this and have a safe mission, the electronic design shall include protective devices called Latching Current Limiters (LCL).
EmTroniX has developed a flexible and compact Latching Current Limiter. This generic product aims to monitor the power supply line of radiation sensitive devices and switch them off in case an overcurrent event occurs.
Currently, EmTroniX’ Latching Current Limiters are available for class 1, class 2 according to the ECSS standard as well as a class 2.5 to address load currents up to 2.5A . Future development will target class 3 and above with ECSS compatibility.
Our LCL design is made from radiation tested COTS components and is flexible enough to be adapted to any electronic.
SDR key features
- Latch-up protection for 10V to 32V supply bus
- Current limitation at 1A, 2A and 2.5A according to ECSS class 1, 2 and 2.5 (Class 2.5 being the mid-point between Class 2 and 3)
- Stable latch-off time (15 to 10ms depending on class)
- Very low Voltage drop across the LCL
- 97% efficiency for low power losses
- Digital interface for re-arming and status reporting
- Accurate current sensing for system supervision
- 100% tested over temperature range
- Radiation Hardened design
- TID > 50 Krad (Si)
- SEL LET > 80Mev-cm2/mg
- SET Immune > 80Mev-cm2/mg
- Temperature range: -40°C / +125°C
- Operating temperature range: -30°C / +85°C
- ITAR Free Product – Worldwide delivery guaranty
- Compact Size and Low Weight
- Size: 32 x 23 x 3 mm
- Mass: 3.4g